GM wants everyone to know they are working on bringing concepts like the Volt and the plug-in electric hybrid (PHEV) Saturn Vue into production. Apparently, they have been accused of 'greenwashing' the public (I like that... greenwashing. I need to remember that one).
So, what are they doing to make these ideas a reality?
- Invested in an upgrade to battery testing and development facilities
- Dedicated a battery team, with plans to increase staffing by 30% (over two years)
- Promoted Denise Gray to be the new "battery czar," i.e. Director of Energy Storage Systems
- Cobasys/A123Systems and Johnson Controls-Saft received development contracts for lithium-ion batteries
- Testing to begin on the batteries for the Vue Plug-In Hybrid by the end of this year
- first demonstration vehicles that use E-Flex.
- Formed a special executive leadership council for the E-Flex program
GM seems to be taking this pretty seriously. Given their lackluster performance so far in hybrid technology, I believe most people will take a wait and see attitude, however.
GM Source: GM FastLane Blog: Getting a Jolt From Volt