Hybrid cars are playing a big role at the MLB All-Star game this year.
- The new Chevy Malibu Hybrid (release date is in October/November) is being shown at the All Star Fan Fest.
- Fox Sports employees will be driving hybrid cars from EV Rental Car, including the Ford Escape Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Toyota Prius, and Honda Civic Hybrid.
- On Monday, Chevy E85 flex-fuel vehicles will transport players in the All-Star parade, and on Tuesday night, the MVP of the game will win a Tahoe Hybrid vehicle.
According to the Chevy press release, the EPA rates the 2008 Hybrid Malibu at 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway – a two-mpg increase over the non-hybrid four-cylinder model – and will be Chevrolet value-priced, offering customers an affordable hybrid choice.
The Malibu Hybrid is capable of:
- Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling
- Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
- Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration
- Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration through regenerative braking to charge the advanced nickel metal hydride battery
- Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient