Toyota has claimed the top spot on fuel economy of any full-line manufacturer as filed with the NHTSA as part of the CAFE requirements.
Toyota has eight cars rated at over 30 mpg (highway).
MODEL - EPA HWY RATING
- PRIUS - 45 mpg
- COROLLA - 35 to 37 mpg
- YARIS - 35 to 36 mpg
- CAMRY HYBRID - 34 mpg
- SCION xD - 32 to 33 mpg
- MATRIX - 31 to 33 mpg
- 4-CYL. CAMRY - 31 mpg
- SOLARA - 31 mpg
According to Toyota, their fuel economy numbers are being improved by several technological advances including
- Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive(R),
- variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i),
- improvements in fuel injection technology,
- Toyota's drive by wire system,
- transmission enhancements and
- lighter weight vehicle materials.
*According to Corporate Average Fuel Economy filed with NHTSA